Prev: Re: [list] sanity check Next: Re: Splitting the Mailing List Suggestion

Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 11:18:14 -0700
Subject: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:

> Can you, in real life, whip out your handheld rangefinder and
> instantly
> come to the conclusion that if you run towards me for, let's say 30
> seconds, I can not hit you with my rifle (even though I see you
> clearly),
> but if you take one step further, I can? I would be, ofcourse, free to
>
> move within the time period.

In SF, our range finder is the big-ass laser thing which we never even
take with us because it's a a pain to carry and use, (Unless we are
directing  Close Air Supprt). It's just as easy to use the timeless art
of range estimation or map crossrefrencing. (reesection/ intersection)

In my very limited exposure to armor, it's a simple thing to site the
traget, depress the "lase" trigger, get a return on range and air
conditions which is fed directly into the targetting computer , then
send the round down range. This is how I envision an integral range
finder working on infantry weapons. But do you really need something
like that unless you have an AT weapon or a sniper weapoin anyway.

Prev: Re: [list] sanity check Next: Re: Splitting the Mailing List Suggestion