Prev: Re: Planetary defenses Next: [DS2] Damage Table

Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:42:19 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998, Los wrote:

> In my very limited exposure to armor, it's a simple thing to site the
> traget, depress the "lase" trigger, get a return on range and air
> conditions which is fed directly into the targetting computer , then
> send the round down range. This is how I envision an integral range
> finder working on infantry weapons. But do you really need something
> like that unless you have an AT weapon or a sniper weapoin anyway.

Yes. My point is that while it *is* useful for evaluating *a* target, it
does not simply and instantly give you range to *all* possible targets,
including how far they might move in the immediate future etc. (which is
what free pre-measuring does in the game).

A tanker once told me that during rapid response drills (or some such),
he'd just engage the first target to hit the sights and worry later
whether it was the optimal choice or not. What the laser rangefinder
*did*
help was make the first *shot* on that target count.

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: Planetary defenses Next: [DS2] Damage Table