Prev: Re: Splitting the Mailing List Suggestion Next: Re: Planetary defenses

Re: What Figures are people using for SGII how are you painting

From: John Crimmins <johncrim@v...>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 11:05:51 -0400
Subject: Re: What Figures are people using for SGII how are you painting

At 06:32 PM 9/28/98 -0500, you wrote:
>John spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>
>> GZG NSL painted dark green, drybrushed a lighter dark green,
splotched
>> in brown and tan.
>
>I'd really like to be able to paint a WW2 Splotch Pattern. I have
>some cammies in that pattern and it works well and looks sharp. But
>hard to paint in 25mm.

I went to the local art supply store and got some sea sponges.	I
originally intended to use them for my Kryomek bunkers--and did, and it
looks pretty good.  Check out
http://www.jenkintownhobby.com/stargrunt.html
to see what I mean.  Doing the NSL guys this way were an afterthought,
but
it worked out well.  I have to say: Cartoon Colors are a great set of
paints.

>> GZG UN in white, inked gray and drybrushed white again, with baby
blue
>> helmets.
>
>Darn! I thought that was my idea. How do you find inks to use? Can
>you use the same brushes as oils or acrylics? How do you thin them? I
>have whitened my UN guys, and have the baby blue helmets, but I
>couldn't find a good 'shadow' colour - I thought black too dark. I
>was leaning towards a light or medium grey, but I don't want to wash
>over the white plating... just the articulated areas, to give depth
>and detail. Grey ink might be the answer. What brand do you use?

I went to an Art Supply store again.  You can get acrylic inks, which
are
thinned with water, and clean up just like acrylic paints.  I have two
kinds of gray ink: Pelikan Gray, a nice dark grey which is almost
useless
by itself--it will not cover ANYTHING, and I can only really use it for
painting beard stubble--and FS Acrylic Artists Ink Cool Gray, which is
very
light, but covers very nicely.	I mixed the two and the result was what
was looking for.

>> Everything else--Partha Kurtia Battletroops, LEG Lizard guys, various

>> Heartbreaker and Demonblade figs, Global Games Legions of Steel,
>> etc.--have only had samples done.  I have to come up with schemes
that I
>> like before I start painting them.
>
>The Battletroops sure are great figures - real 25mm. The only thing
>they lack is rucks - too many of the minis made in the last few years
>look like they are out for a stroll in the garden. Must use their
>apcs to carry all their kit.
>
>Tom.

I have been accumulating 25mm Mecha to use as their vehicles.  I just
got
one of the Heavy Gear "Striders", a HUGE chunk of metal, for them.
Someday, I may even paint it....

>Thomas Barclay
>Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
>Fax: (613) 831-8255

John X Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com
  --Spider Robinson, The Callahan Touch.

Prev: Re: Splitting the Mailing List Suggestion Next: Re: Planetary defenses