Prev: Re: [FT?] Planetary defenses Next: Re: Voltron [Semi OT]

Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 15:21:39 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle

You wrote:

>If you are opposed to people knowing their chances exactly, how come
>you're not opposed to people knowing that the little tank is actually
>0.000001mm out of range through pre-measuring?

Because any idiot nowdays can buy a hand-held laser rangefinder
accurate to the nth degree.  Laser rangefinders are used on all combat
vehicles (at least in real militaries).  Takes a tiny fraction of a
second to get exact range from any vehicle to any object.

>> Similarly, why do infantrymen often fire their rifles at aircraft
and >> helicopters? Is it because they have worked out that they might
actually >> have a 0.0003% chance of damaging it, or just because it
makes them feel a >> little bit less like fish in a barrel...?

>I was *trained* to. The army trained a lot of dumb things, but this
one >actually has something going for it.

>- While it is virtually impossible to damage a modern attack
helicopter >with rifle caliber fire (they're built to withstand 20mm
hits, rotors >included), the chance to screw up the attack run is very
real

Don't forget engine intakes.  Suck a 5.56mm piece of lead into the
engine intake and your expensive flying machine is suddenly at one with
the landscape.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: [FT?] Planetary defenses Next: Re: Voltron [Semi OT]