Prev: Re: Planetary defenses Next: Re: [FT?] Planetary defenses

Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

From: "W. Nitsche" <bnitsche@u...>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 12:59:39 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

On Sun, 27 Sep 1998 tom.anderson@altavista.net wrote:

>  ---- mikko wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Nyrath the nearly wise wrote:
> >
> > >	This can be a justification for the classic method
> > >	of scenario construction:
> > >
> > >	Player A designs the scenario.
> > >	Player B gets to pick which side they play.
>
> this is fine for two players, but gets complicated with more than one.
> really complicated. PhD's have been done on this problem.

When you have more than 2 players, I think it helps alot just to pair up
into 2 teams with one commander making the initial decisions -- picking
troops/scenery, devising a strategy, directing a subordinate to move and
such.  If another player doesn't like the decisions the commander makes,
stuff it.  Your turn will be coming up soon.

I realize that this method takes a leap of faith, but seems to work
rather
well in my 2 weekly groups (neither, sad to say, are playing GZG games
right now).  We also play with limited control, so the commander can
make
a general order, but the player interprets that order as s/he please.  I
can see a problem if you have people in your group with overactive egos.
However, it really is the only way to go when you're playing a wargame
with 6 to 8 people playing regularly.

A temporally displaced		Bill Nitsche (bnitsche@u.washington.edu)
	hobbit			Oceanography, University of Washington

Prev: Re: Planetary defenses Next: Re: [FT?] Planetary defenses