Prev: Re: OT: New Battlefleet Gothic in White Dwarf. Next: Re: OT: New Battlefleet Gothic in White Dwarf.

Re: *New DS2/SG2 website*

From: Tony Christney <acc@q...>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 11:10:33 -0700
Subject: Re: *New DS2/SG2 website*

Andrew wrote:
>Brian Burger <burger00@camosun.bc.ca> wrote:

As one of Brian's regular gaming partners, I will take the liberty of
answering this:

>>From your webpage on DS2:
>>Most of the time, the regular interupt firing rules should still be
used -
>>Overwatch is intended to cover some of the exploitable loopholes in
the
>>move squence.
>    Can you let us/me know what these "exploitable loopholes" are?

The major loophole that this is meant to cover is the "last activation"
loophole. This is where you have a unit in position covering the enemy
advance. The enemy has the "last activation". This allows them to get
one turn of advancing and shooting up your units without any chance
of return fire.

The alternating activation sequence is very good, but has this annoying
bug at the end (and to a lesser degree at the beginning) of the turn.

[snip]
>>Vehicle moves up to ridgeline/hilltop and stays out of sight then
spends
>>half a move to occupy position - choose between HULL DOWN - D10 or
TURRET
>>DOWN - D12, and perform combat action if desired.
>>IMO that would accurately reflect the time it takes to find a good,
true
>>HULL DOWN position as opposed to just rushing up and using a judgement
call
>>to position yourself and get a shot off quickly.
>    The defence dice reveals this better. If you roll a "1", then the
>position wasn't quite right or had a gap. Remember that each turn takes
>place over 15 minutes which is plenty of time. There is little need to
have
>a special reduction in movement. After all, hills usually slow movement
for
>most vehicles types already.

This section our house rules was written by our resident armour expert.
He has a fair amount of experience commanding Leopard II's into and
out of firing positions, so we were more than willing to accept his
judgement as to the time scales and movement factors required.

>>NB: In TURRET DOWN, only two Combat Actions are available: Calling
>Artillery
>    Yes.
>
>>& Firing APSWs.
>    Only the externally mounted "free" APSW. The others are assumed to
be in
>the turret or hull. Of course one could specify that the extra APSW's
are
>mounted on the outside.

I don't recall this assumption stated anywhere in the rulebook. Nor do I
see anything about the free APSW being externally mounted. The vast
majority of armoured vehicles have an APSW. Mountings may or may not be
external. So we simplify things by saying that APSWs can shoot while
turret down.

       Tony Christney
       acc@questercorp.com

  "If the end user has to worry about how the program was
   written then there is something wrong with that program"
				  -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: OT: New Battlefleet Gothic in White Dwarf. Next: Re: OT: New Battlefleet Gothic in White Dwarf.