Prev: Re: New GZGs Chat Schedule. Next: Have I been Kicked Off the List (Again)?

Re: Planet Assault

From: Rick Norman <thurvin@y...>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 16:14:57 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Planet Assault

Orbital Bombardment.
First, most major planets are balkanized to some degree (especially
FSE and NSL ones)so massive orbital bombardment with mass drivers
(like Narn Homeworld)could get ugly quick. I think, that sort of thing
does happen but it is not standard procedure. On balkanized planets,
space control is matter of external supply line for the troops on the
ground and orbital artillery. Attacks on civilian targets with various
weapons is an ugly fact of war. Unsavory and questionable
effectiveness at best. Immobile targets of any type in JT universe die
quick. Mobile C3I, with lots of dummies and ECM, can survive a while
if not probably recon. In short, Orbital bombardment is one factor of
warfare in JT universe.

Space Control.
I think Space Control is at best an illusion. I think a large enough
fleet with some bases back-up could cover any launch or insertion
window but the cost of such blockade would prohibitive. Standard
Operation is a soft net. "Let the small fish though maybe with a few
Beam shots to remind them to not try again. But toast anything else."

To truly claim a planet one need to put men with guns and a few tanks
and aerospace and explain to other inhabit the error of resistance.

Thank you.

Prev: Re: New GZGs Chat Schedule. Next: Have I been Kicked Off the List (Again)?