Prev: RE: [SG2] You'll never take me alive, coppers:Was RE: PA availability Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Re: *New DS2/SG2 website*

From: "Alex Shvarts, Andrew & Brian Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 20:38:09 +1200
Subject: Re: *New DS2/SG2 website*

Brian Burger <burger00@camosun.bc.ca> wrote:
>I've just set up a personal webpage, ...
    That's great!

>From your webpage on DS2:
>Most of the time, the regular interupt firing rules should still be
used -
>Overwatch is intended to cover some of the exploitable loopholes in the
>move squence.
    Can you let us/me know what these "exploitable loopholes" are?

>Hull Down & Cover (DS2, maybe SG2)
>The rules are somewhat ambiguous when it comes to vehicles taking up
cover.
>I checked all the sections I could find, and the main problem is, which
>secondary die to award a vehicle that is behind a hilltop/ridgeline. A
D6
>for "soft cover" or a D10 for "hull down". Furthermore, how does a
vehicle
>claim "turret down" status?
    When moving up to the ridge top, I would say out loud what position
it's
taking up, whether exposed, hull down, turret down or sensor down
(completely hidden). I would ask my opponent to do the same when he
moves
his vehicles.
    These positions would be with respect to an observer stationed on a
equal height hill to the front of the vehicle. To an enemy in the valley
below the hill, the position gets one step better. For example, going
hull
down at the hill top means turret down to enemy in the valley. To enemy
on
higher hills, the position is one step worse. Hull down becoming
exposed,
turret down becoming hull down, and sensor down becoming turret down.
    So, if it hadn't been specified, the vehicle is assumed to be
exposed to
all fire.
    A turret down position would be appropriate for a unit firing GMS
indirectly or before doing a pop-up manouever next game turn.

>The best approach I can think of goes like this:
>Vehicle simply moves up to ridgeline/hilltop to assume fire position -
SOFT
>COVER - D6
    I would allow this only if there were appropriate terrain like
bushes,
shrubs, trees, etc. Otherwise, I would assume the vehicle is completely
exposed.

>Vehicle moves up to ridgeline/hilltop and stays out of sight then
spends
>half a move to occupy position - choose between HULL DOWN - D10 or
TURRET
>DOWN - D12, and perform combat action if desired.
>IMO that would accurately reflect the time it takes to find a good,
true
>HULL DOWN position as opposed to just rushing up and using a judgement
call
>to position yourself and get a shot off quickly.
    The defence dice reveals this better. If you roll a "1", then the
position wasn't quite right or had a gap. Remember that each turn takes
place over 15 minutes which is plenty of time. There is little need to
have
a special reduction in movement. After all, hills usually slow movement
for
most vehicles types already.

>NB: In TURRET DOWN, only two Combat Actions are available: Calling
Artillery
    Yes.

>& Firing APSWs.
    Only the externally mounted "free" APSW. The others are assumed to
be in
the turret or hull. Of course one could specify that the extra APSW's
are
mounted on the outside.

======
>Artillery Spotter Drones (DS2)

>Size 1 VTOLs w/ Artillery Observer ability. Move, cost & targetting as
>VTOLs. These little bugs roll d12 for calling fire down, and are
incredible
>force multipliers. Expensive, but worth it.

>Drones need a base vehicle to operate from - the Commander's caravan,
or a
>similar vehicle. This vehicle holds the remote piloting and targetting
>links, comms systems, etc.
    You might be interested in my RPV (Remotely Piloted Vehicles) rule,
which is freely available on my web site:
    http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/EW.HTM

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/

Prev: RE: [SG2] You'll never take me alive, coppers:Was RE: PA availability Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.