Prev: Re: GZG FH: Blue water navy. Next: Re: Planetary defenses

Re: What Figures are people using for SGII how are you painting them?

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 1998 01:07:11 +0100
Subject: Re: What Figures are people using for SGII how are you painting them?

	Surprise, surprise but I use all my FT/SG/DS stuff as OU. Most
of the
figures are right but there are a few ring ins in the fleet, heavy tanks
and artillery (I have some Battletech figures which are useful here.)
The
FT Painting FAQ on the web has my ideas for my fleet (and you can now
see
it on Tims Gallery Page). For everything else undercoat with black and
then
dry brush with your base colour (I use a mid green). Then find the
rattiest
and oldest brush you can. Get your next colour (I use a dark green) and
prepare the brush as if you were going to dry brush the figure. When you
paint the figures you use a stabbing motion. A single "stab" for each
colour should be enough for 6mm infantry.  What this does is leave
definate
spots and splotches of colour on the figure. I do this with 4 colours
(dark
green, light green, dark brown, light brown) and the effect is a camo
pattern without the eyestrain and hand shakes. I've done this for all my
DS
and SG figures and vehicles and it looks quite good if you finish off
with
a brown ink wash just to bring out the detail.
	I have painted up some "Heavy Gear" for SG infantry walkers and
have done
one entirely with spots as some Aboriginal art is. The spost are Brown,
Falxen Yello, Autumn Gold, Shamrock Green and Pine Green all on a black
undercoat with red hands. "Spotty" looks quite good if I do say so
myself
and if a friend did suggest I paint another as "Super Ted".

	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au

At 23:30 24/09/98 EDT, you wrote:
>I've collected figures for Stargrunt and I've got platoon and company
sized
>units for a couple of	units in the GZG universe. I'm curious as who is
using
>what figures. How do you have them painted up?
>Are you using "historical" camo patterns or colors? I've done the
following:

>1. FSE  Company in French Lizard pattern (circa 1960 Algeria)
>2. NSL  Panzer Grenadiers in Waffen SS fall pattern (orange and brown)
>3. NAC Royal Marines in U.S. faded, heavily weathered olive drab
>4. ESU in Soviet WWII Airborne camo (light olive green with ameba
shaped
>blotches-I've used dark purple as opposed to the original pattern's
dark
>green)
>
>I'm using all GZG figures mounted on heavily textured round
slota-bases. I
>have a number of Kryomech Nexus Marines which I might use as mercenary
types.
>Haven't gotten around to painting my Pan-Africans or Pan-Islamics yet.
Any