Prev: Re: OT: New Battlefleet Gothic in White Dwarf. Next: Re: still FMA-40k

Re: FT/FB points costs, was: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 18:51:42 -0400
Subject: Re: FT/FB points costs, was: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

I have only two problems with the FT-FB ship construction rules:

1.  No sensor rules.  MT rules aren't interesting.  I'm working on some
ideas, but I am not satisfied with them enought to post them yet.

2.  No endurance as a factor of mass.  This doesn't make a difference
for determining combat power, but makes a huge difference in
campaigns...  A ship which needs to be resupplied every month has a lot
more space for weapons then a ship that needs to be resupplied once
every year...

IAS

Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

> Binhan Lin wrote:
>
> > You can still
> > min\max in FT/FB but it's less obvious and the advantages are much
> less.  So
> > I would suspect that most of the points have been equilibrated in
FT/FB
> and
> > it won't need much more tweaking in the future.
>
> We (playtesters and Jon) did our best to get the weapon Mass values
> right. The "best" weapon combination is the one that fits into your
> tactical style - each of the main weapon types (batteries of various
> classes, pulse torps, needles, salvo missiles, sub-packs) has a range,
> target type and a set of arcs where it gives the highest bang for your
> bucks. There is no "3-arc A batteries are equal or superior to all
other
> weapons at all ranges", or at least we were unable to find them. Since
> the points costs for the weapons are simply 3x their Mass, the points
> should be OK as well.
>
> Similarly, the Mass allocations for engienes and hull are OK. I'm not,
> however, entirely convinced that the points costs (2x Mass) for
engines
> and hull are right, and herein lies the potential for min/maxing that
> see in the FB design rules. Not sure how I'd want to change it, though
-
> speed and durability are both very nice to have :-/ The cost for any
FB