Prev: RE: [SG2] Base textures ...Was: What Figures are people using for SGII how are you painting them? Next: OT: New Battlefleet Gothic in White Dwarf.

Re: Planetary defenses

From: Tony Christney <acc@q...>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 1998 13:51:40 -0700
Subject: Re: Planetary defenses

At 02:16 PM 9/25/98 -0500, you wrote:
>You wrote:
>
>>Planet based fighter groups and missile racks are probably the best
>>from a game mechanics point of view.	The planet can launch its
>>defense before the attacker can hit them, the defenses don't risk
>>being plinked to death from long range.
>
>Point--if you've got moons to play with, whether they be monsters like
>Luna or pebbles like Phobos and Deimos, those would seem to me to be
>the best place to base fighters.  Less of a gravity well to fight out
>of and no nasty atmosphere to slow you down.
>
>John M. Atkinson

Even better would be orbital weapons platforms supplemented by
various land based weapon sites. The dirtside sites would have to
be very long range batteries. The strategy would be to force the
enemy to go after the OWPs first, allowing the planet based sites
to operate with immunity (for a while anyway). Basically a
space based version of defence in depth. I just finished
"In Death Ground", so the idea of OWPs is very fresh in my mind.

       Tony Christney
       acc@questercorp.com

  "If the end user has to worry about how the program was
   written then there is something wrong with that program"
				  -Bjarne Stroustrup