Prev: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle Next: [MISC] Point Systems

Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

From: Jeff Lyon <jefflyon@m...>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 08:55:03 -0500
Subject: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

At 01:03 PM 9/24/98 +0100, Mike Elliott wrote:
>>The sad thing is that SGII COULD be the giant killer to 40k, but it
>won't
>do it without a points system.  That is just the way things >are.  If
GZG
>wishes to sell SGII to a wider group then a point system >must be
included
>in the next edition.  I don't see how that can be >gotten around.
>
>>Chad

<snip>

>Anyhow, if the nub of the problem is that you want an easy way to put
>together a quick game, then why not do what commanders have to do in
real
>life? In SGII the player is at most in the role of a company commander
>(more usually a platoon commander). He has the troops he has been
given. No
>more, no less. He MIGHT get some support assets if higher thinks he
needs
>them and they are available, but it all depends.
>
>So, two players want a game. Each brings along their current force.
You've
>got three understength platoons against my elite platoon? OK, you're
>guarding this installation and I've got to attack it... Result instant
game
>- and no need for a points system.
>
>Rarely will forces be equal _by any form of measurement_ So what? Thats
>real life....

If this is how y'all think games should be organized, then why not cook
up
a "standardized" method of generating a half dozen basic scenarios to
facilitate pick-up games.

In Charlie Company for example, they give the basic outline of squad,
platoon and company level assets available "on paper" for both the US
Army
and Marine Corps during each year of the Vietnam war and then guidelines
for rolling randomly to see what you really have in the field.	(Like
1D6+4
men in a squad, 1d10 LAW rockets, 25% chance of a support weapon,
maximum
of 1 per squad, whatever... something similar would be a good format for
an
"GZG Official Background" SG reference ala the FT Fleetbook)  I'd take
it
as a given that no force in the field will ever be at full "on paper"
strength AND fully equipped AND have experienced troops...not for long
anyway.

Then outline several basic scenarios; "Two patrols running into each
other", "Sweeping a guerrilla-held village", "Raid on a supply dump",
etc.
Outline the objectives and basic force level parameters like you did
above
"Defender gets three understrength platoons, attacker gets a reinforced
company."  Cook in some basic modifiers like "Low on supplies, -1 on
rolls
for support weapons" or "Low tech defenders: +1d4 recruits with rifles",
"NSL gets 1d4 PA troops" or whatever.

If you come up with enough scenarios, you could cobble together a
framework
for a campaign; "Play 'Scenario 1' then either 'Scenario 2 or 4'
depending
on the outcome.  Then play 'Scenario 5'; loser of 2 or 4 gets benefits
of
'Raw Recruits' while winner gets 'Short on Supplies'".	And so on...

Give folks a framework in which to play that allows them to get past the
force design, min-maxing, point-counting stage and pick up games between
strangers with minimum preparation will be not only possible, but quick,
easy and fun.

And why can't they do it themselves, you may ask?  Because
unfortunately,
if it's not written down in a rule book somewhere, then it is subject to
debate and gamers (being gamers) will spend more time arguing force
composition and scenario parameters that playing the game.

Jeff

Prev: Re: (OT) Rules "inspiration" (was [OT] Bring and Battle Next: [MISC] Point Systems