Prev: Re: FT tactics? Next: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

Re: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

From: "chadtaylor" <chadtaylor@d...>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 02:20:26 -0400
Subject: Re: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

> >>I'm going to make a judgement call now and if I'm wrong I apologise
you
> >>before hand, but it sounds like you have been sucked in by the GW
marketing
> >>people who's only goal in life is to sell their miniatures and as a
result
> >>have corrupted a whole generation of potential wargamers into
thinking
that
> >>the only way to play is with officially sanctioned miniatures.
>
> >The GW comment is rather low (not directed towards me but it sort of
> >applies)
>
> Hmmmmm.....I think I'm going to get into trouble for that comment....
> Putting it in context, I'm a little fed up with my local 40K players
and
> their need to have the most up to date, offically sanctioned figures.
> the point where they only use offical space wolf, blood angel figures
in
> their squads. (there's no such thing as a generic space marine model
in
> their armies)  I hope they grow up sometime soon and then I might
start
> playing 40K again.

I can't believe I'm going to do this, but I'm actually going to give a
bit
of defense for those players.  Back_in_the_day I could field several
different GW armies, one of them was an IG catachan (or some such,
jungle
looking guys) army.  It was rather large and I could field a full
company
if I wished.  Almost all were official GW miniatures for that army type
with only a couple of additions that I thought fit the look.  Why did I
bother?  Because there was a sort of collecting feel to it as well as
the
play.  I only used the army a couple of times, but I enjoyed
'collecting'
the models and painting them just as much (actually far far far more
than)
as playing the game.  The same feeling goes into my rather large NAC
fleet
or my home made (from GW tyranid bits) Savasku fleet.  There is a
certain
level of satisfaction in having the 'right' models.  I suggest that many
on
this list suffer from the same weakness to one level or another.  I bet
there is more than one person on the list who can field an entire
'official' GZG style force of one type or another.  Now, are we going to
go
about thumping on them because they are buying the 'official' gzg
miniatures?  I doubt it. Granted, GW is known for its silly arms race -
but
it has toned down a bit the last year or so and much of the scamper for
the
latest army has to do with just having the army that no one else has on
the
block , again - a sort of collecting 'I got it you don't' mentality sets
in.  In fact, the last two new armies released were less powerful that
the
other already in place armies, but the miniatures were really nice.

ick ick ick, I'm apologizing for GW - I'm off to take a shower.....  ;)

Allow me to make a few points, I have repented all things GW and I am
shocked at the cash I threw down a bottomless pit of a game system I
ALWAYS
hated.	I have to admit though, I really wish I still had that IG army -
it
looked darn cool.

> As for cardboard counters littering the battle field and using
cardboard
> tokens in stead of miniatures, I see them as just part of playing
wargames
> and don't get to annoyed when they distract from the aesthetic appeal
of
> the table/game.  Dice do that already so it seems a litle pointless
getting
> annoyed at some counters on the table as well.
>
> Wayne.

This is going to make me sound even worse, but the chits are the reason
could never play DSII.	A shame really, it looked like such a good game.

Just give me dice to throw that is all I want.

Chad Taylor

Prev: Re: FT tactics? Next: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle