Prev: Re: FT tactics? Next: Re: Call For Players

Re: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

From: laserlight <laserlight@m...>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 22:36:34 -0400
Subject: Re: RE:[MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

> >>On Tue, 22 Sep 1998, Mikko Kurki-Suonio wrote:
>
> >>"Once you have experience" is the operative word here. How many
games
> does
> >>it take to learn a system inside out? *Without* a more experienced
> >>teacher? Let's say I play a game of SG once every three months
(typical
> >>for a "sideline" game in my group). Let's say it takes 10 games to
learn
> >>the system.

Someone else replied:
> >Playing a game once every three months isn't giving it a fair go.
When
> >buy a new game system I commit myself to learning it and playing a
number
> >of games, up to one every weekend, over the next couple of months.

I don't have time for that myself.
I think someone is losing a distinction here also.  You have to first
learn
the rules--then learn how to win under those rules.  For example, when I
was six I learned the rules of chess in a week or so, but it took
several
years before I could play my father and expect to beat him.  I don't
mind
spending a year or two learning how to win, if I like the rules; I
wouldn't
consider spending a year learning the rules, though.

Prev: Re: FT tactics? Next: Re: Call For Players