Prev: Re: [URL] FT Gallery Next: Re: FT tactics?

RE: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

From: "Glover, Owen" <oglover@m...>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 12:09:41 +1000
Subject: RE: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle

-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne [mailto:w.pollerd@student.unimelb.edu.au]

>As for cardboard counters littering the battle field and using
cardboard
>tokens in stead of miniatures, I see them as just part of playing
wargames
>and don't get to annoyed when they distract from the aesthetic appeal
of
>the table/game.  Dice do that already so it seems a litle pointless
getting
>annoyed at some counters on the table as well.

I think you need to keep the philosphy of the use of counters in
perspective.

There are really two approaches to gaming with miniatures when it comes
management. One is to have cards or sheets of paper and maintain records
for
each unit/squad/figure. The other is to have a counter/chit system on
the
table. Some games play a combination of both or else are VERY generic
when
it comes to unit attributes (eg DBA/M/R use neither).

WRG 7th Ancients uses a combination of both with markers(or
repositioning
some elements) to reperesent unit cohesion.

Personally i find the counters easiest and quickest to cope with in the
game. Even in our Club Open Day with 36 squads/vehciles on one side and
21
on the other the counters was definitely the better alternative from a
mangement point of view.

Some systems are better managed with paper; battletech for example where
the
condition of a Mechs armour on each limb is significant. You can argue
the
merits all you like but I'm not going back to paper based for
Staregrunt.

Owen G

Prev: Re: [URL] FT Gallery Next: Re: FT tactics?