Prev: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: RE: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Re: SV: [SG2] You'll never take me alive,... [OT]

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 14:48:19 +0200
Subject: Re: SV: [SG2] You'll never take me alive,... [OT]

Mikko wrote:

> > criminals used assault guns so far this year; there was an...
incident
> > some years back when a madman took an AK-4 and fired straight into a
> > queue waiting to get into a night club some years back,
>
> You neglected to mention that the said madman was an army officer, and
he
> used his army issue rifle. Hardly your typical criminal.

The latest massacre, at Stureplan in Stockholm, was *not* done by an
army
officer, no. That one was a well known criminal and drug dealer IIRC.
But
you're right - I forgot about the previous massacre.

> > the MC gangs in
> > the south of Sweden seem to favour AT-4 anti-tank weapons or SMGs,
but
> > have used assault guns as well, and so on.
>
> ...stolen from the Swedish army... as always, criminals don't seem to
be
> affected by gun control laws.

Exactly. But where the criminals get their weapons isn't very important
-
what *is* important is that the weapons are available, and get used. Not
that often, but, well... far too often. Even once would be far too
often.

> > Don't try telling me those crimes are myths. Criminals, at least in
> > Sweden, *do* use anything from zipguns to assault rifles and
anti-tank
> > weapons. Of course these crimes make up a very small percentage of
the
> > *total* criminality, when there's one heavily-armed incident every
> > two-three months or so and a few thousand minor crimes a day, but
that
> > doesn't make the bad ones a "myth".
>
> Depends on what you think the myth is. I think the myth is that every
> petty criminal has an Uzi in his glove compartment and uses it in
daily
> business. This is simply not true.

I fully agree. The original statement, however, was something like
"...criminals use all kinds of weapons from popguns to assault rifles."
*This* is what John A. called a "myth" - or at least what I percieved
him
calling a myth - and it is what I (strongly) disagree with. The entire
spectrum exists.

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [MISC] [OT] Bring and Battle Next: RE: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.