Prev: Re: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: RE: [SG2] You'll never take me alive, coppers:Was RE: PA availab

[SG2] PA availability and capability

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 14:48:28 -0500
Subject: [SG2] PA availability and capability

Los spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> The best use for PA police today would be for the first guy or two
through the door
> in an Emergency Response Team situation.  A squad or two might come in
andiny
> during riot control, certainly for intimidation purposes. However, you
are correct
> about losing SA, especially in tight spaces.

Of course, police PA may be a 'scout' version (what military scouts
would wear - Fast, Light PA with heavier armour relative to normal
infantry/police BA but light armour relative to full military PA -
heaviest armour not needed by a police unit. Good sensor suites
(visual, audio, vibration, RF/EM monitors/decoders), good comms.
Presumably less of a strength boost. But the effect of the toned down
armour would be (and something similar could be used by PA military
scouts/snipers/SOF)

:- still stronger than a human
- faster than a human
- excellent sensors (helps make up for PA SA loss)
- excellent comms
- light (from a military POV) weapons but very accurate (built in
sniper capabilities?)
- subdual weapons
- more heavily armoured than normal troops
- not able to meet military Line PA on equal footing (they'd have
heavier weapons, area weapons which the police would eschew, ECM
which the police wouldn't need, and they'd lack some of the built in
caps the police need).
- perhaps limited audio visual stealth or chameleon gear
(which would also let them have a tactical mode - black or cammo or
blending and a rescue or crowd control mode for bright yellow or
orange coloration with flashing strobes)
- able to move more silently
(lighter armour, smaller servos, etc)
- able to fit through smaller spaces (normal doorways etc) by virtue
of not being as large as military PA
- able to walk on less reinforced floor (normal military PA might
well crash through normal house flooring due to heavy weight)

Here are some suggestions for how to implement this in SG2
- give police PA built in sniper capability and a sniper weapon.
- give them a point fire weapon like a plasma gun, but only to be
used against doors, etc.
- give them subdual weapons (stun guns, solidifying foam, etc)
- give them fast movement (12-15"), but lighter armour (d10 or d12
armour)
- give them Enhanced Commo, but no ECM
- give them Enhanced Sensors (visual, audio, vibration, etc)
- give them 1.5x multiplier (round up) in Close Combat rather than
doubling

Thoughts?
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009