Prev: RE: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: RE: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers

Re: FCT, Small is Relative.

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 13:20:34 -0500
Subject: Re: FCT, Small is Relative.

Niall spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> Wouldn't free Caltech be a rather powerful entity for its size as it
seems
> to have good natural resources and large populations?

If dependence on petroleum as a source of energy has been overcome
and alternate types of plastics invented, then Texas oil might not
matter. The internecine US wars that led to and followed the NAC
takeover probably hurt silicon valley. Plus, by separating, they have
a need to fund a bunch of things they never had to before (embassies,
etc.). So it is debatable whether FCT would actually be an economy
out of scale to its population or not. I think this is a 'what's your
preference' situation. I'm not saying they are poor, but I don't
think relatively speaking, that they'd be as powerful as they would
in today's world if they were separate and united. But they'll always
be colorful....

Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: RE: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: RE: PA availability, was: [semi OT] Women wargamers