Prev: Re: FCT, Small is Relative. Next: SGII tanks and such..

Re: FCT, Small is Relative.

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:03:47 -0500
Subject: Re: FCT, Small is Relative.

John spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> Thomas Barclay wrote:
> ...snip...JTL
>  It would surely be elite
> > and rarer for PAU, IF, RH, FCT (size reasons), various independents.
> ...Snip...JTL
>
> Tom,
>      The FCT is constantly put down as being small, one must remember
> that the economy of the state of California is the seventh to ninth
> (I cannot remember exactly) in the world.

Today. Is it in 2183, after wars and internal collapse of the US
which surely took an awesome toll on silicon valley and all the
associated things?

   IF the precident continues
> the FEW planets occupied by the FCT would be quite rich and VERY
> independent. (It's the Texas influence, combined with the California
> wealth.)

Plus, you're ignoring the relative potential of asia, the pacific
rim, and the south americas and africa (much less so the last). I
doubt that (given the percentage of world pop and resources
controlled by the NAC and the ESU that even California and Texas
together would constitute a hugely rich power. AND Neither
Californians nor Texans are especially fond of big government with
lots of power (such as a big army). That means I'd suspect any PA
units would be small and elite. They've got better things to spend
their money on.

>      It is also the the only real opportunity to create a reasonable
> power base within the game background that has not been defined.
> (It is also possible that the FCT may be a confederation (like
> Canada) rather the massive central government of the USA.

This would also tend to limit the availability of PA as we all know
how well confederations (such as Canada) manage to cooperate...

(I knew someone would object when I said I didn't think FCT was big
enough to play in the "lots of PA" game).
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: FCT, Small is Relative. Next: SGII tanks and such..