Prev: Re: [FT universe] Next: Police figs, was: RE: PA availability

Re: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) )

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 23:21:53 +0200
Subject: Re: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) )

Mikko wrote:

> > A thrust-2 ship has *no* possibility of dodging an SM salvo, so it
has to
> > rely on point defences.
>
> ...under vector movement.

Whish they used, according to the battle report. But your point is
correct:

>  In cinematic the deciding factor is raw initial speed.

Yes. A Thrust-2 ship needs to start with a speed of 19 or higher (IIRC -
give or take 1) to be able to dodge a missile salvo placed straight
ahead... but even though I'm known for flying at high speeds, even I
don't usually go that fast in thrust-2 ships. 'Course, I rarely ever use
Thrust-2 ships at all <g>

> > Only once, and with the same result as he got. There's a reason why
the
> > US carriers in WWII were so heavily armoured... and it applies in FT
as
> > well :-/ Even more so in FT, I think.
>
> Some British carriers were known for their heavy armoured flight
> decks, even to the point that they had to lie about their aircraft
> complement or people would have guessed where all that tonnage went,
but
> US carriers?	Where did you get that?

Recent thread on the Starfire mailing list :-/ They quoted Jane's as
well
(or claimed to), but the figures were a wee bit higher than 6". Can't
vouch for their validity since I don't have either Jane's or Conway's,
unfortunately :-(

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: [FT universe] Next: Police figs, was: RE: PA availability