Prev: Re: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) ) Next: Re: UPCOMING EVENTS 9/16/98

Re: OT: WRG 1925-50

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 16:43:10 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: OT: WRG 1925-50

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Alan E & Carmel J Brain wrote:

> Making %age rolls etc just "adds an air of verisimilitude to an
> otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative".	The fact is, that many
of
> the minor modifiers are drowned out in the noise of what's NOT
> simulated.

Yes, I agree. Pointless precision, and especially the illusion of
precision (66.666% seems more precise than 4/6 to the average
non-mathematician) are bad things.

1
> in 6 ( 16.66%) is mapped to anywhere between 5-25%.

Except that gamewise, sure things are never good. Even if they represent
the <5% or >95% oddities.

Switching to d12, as I proposed earlier, is easy. Just basically double
all the numbers -- the game works exactly as it did before. Except that
now you have the option of including a 1/12 chance for the odd shots.

E.g. 1 is always no effect, 12 is always at least neutralize (lucky
track
hit or whatever).

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: Re: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) ) Next: Re: UPCOMING EVENTS 9/16/98