Prev: Re: FT-ML DIGEST Next: Re: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) )

Re: [FT universe] was [URL] ...

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@n...>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:55:25 +0200
Subject: Re: [FT universe] was [URL] ...

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> > Good point. The main point is the FTL accuracy - you need to be able
> > jump close enough to cache to trigger its response (and, hopefully,
to do
> > so without sending an omni- or at least multi-directional "Kilroy
was
> > here" signal which someone can pick up <g>). If the jump uncertainty
for
> > long deep-space jumps is on the order of some light days, you still
need
> > a fairly powerful signal.
>
> Ah Oerjan, but I had heard suggested that the approach from a star to
> a star was:
> leaving - small jumps to clear gravity well of star
> large intermediate hop
> arriving - a series of small, more accurate jumps as you close in

Um... I read it (the FB FTL description) more as "accuracy is a function
of jump range and presence of gravity wells" - you need to begin and end
each journey with a series of short jumps *because* the accuracy is shot
by the presence of the gravity well. You try making a long jump right up
to the FTL limit of the gravity well, you risk going a bit too far and
get destroyed - or, almost as bad, get thrown somewhere else entirely.

> So if you made your last jumps small, accurate ones, you could
> place/find such a cache.
>
> N'est pas?

May work, yes. I'm not sure how accurate deep-space astrography is -
this
is another limiting factor in the jump accuracy, and probably the most
important here. Indy, comments?

Regards,

Oerjan Ohlson
oerjan.ohlson@nacka.mail.telia.com

"Life is like a sewer.
- Hen3ry

Prev: Re: FT-ML DIGEST Next: Re: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) )