Prev: Re: [semi OT]PA & various B.S..was Women wargamers Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers

Powered Armour

From: "Phillip E. Pournelle" <pepourne@n...>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 13:56:03 -0700
Subject: Powered Armour

Hello,
	I've been reading the discussion regarding when and how often
and for how
long Powered Armour could be used for combat.  In the StarShip Troopers
universe we are shown only a small portion of the armed forces.  We know
about the neo-dog forces, but we don't know if they were Armoured or
not.
I suspect that there were a number of other ground forces that may have
not
been armoured.	There was a desire to put armoured forces against the
bugs,
because they had a better chance, but we don't know for certain what
happened when non-Armoured forces met with the bugs.
	We do know that they had a limited supply of air, water and
power.	In
fact Ricco's superior was an operational casualty because he was not
able
to get resupplied when the bugs attacked.  So in that universe we know
of
certain limits on PA units.
	Powered Armour is not usable everywhere such as in a Bog or
Marsh or
Swamp.	You won't be able to get out and eventually the air will run
out...
 Powered Armour would be usefull in a SWAT situation but not as city
patrolls.  No matter how well designed the data elements are there will
be
a situation awareness loss of a Powered Armour guy versus a grunt.
	Powered Armour is great in assault and as a reserve force but it
takes
time to power it up and bring it into play.  If you experiencing a
suprise
attack, your front line rifle squads may have to hold the fort until
your
powered armour guys can show up.  In DirtSide II I would suggest a 1D2
turn
delay upon a successfull communications roll from the front line units
the headquarters element before the PA squads are dispathed.  In
StarGrunt
this would be a 1D8 turn delay.
	It would be interesting to run a StarGrunt Scenario where a
commando unit
is making an attack on a tank park or a PA locker, etc.  The Defender
uses
his MPs and normal troops to guard the place and has the tankers/PAs in
barracks.  The commando's goal is to destroy the vehicles or operators.
The tank/PA crews make a run for their vehicles/Armour and can use them
1D4
turns later.
	The obvious use for the PA is to do an orbital drop and secure a
landing
area for follow on forces.
	It would be advisable to keep PA as a reserve force with
vehicles or not.
One use may be to load out a VTOL or Areospace Vehicle to drop these
guys
into the breach in your lines or your enemies.	I like to use them to
capture the enemies command post as soon as I have hole in my enemies
lines.

Gort, Klaatu barada nikto!

Prev: Re: [semi OT]PA & various B.S..was Women wargamers Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers