Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: Re: FTFB-Q about thrust 1 ships

Re: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) )

From: "chadtaylor" <chadtaylor@d...>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 17:03:06 -0400
Subject: Re: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) )

----------
> From: Jef Addley <Jef@jama.demon.co.uk>
> To: FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk
> Subject: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) )
> Date: Tuesday, September 15, 1998 3:19 PM

snip snip snip

> Now this is our first problem.  Fred read this rule as meaning that
> Chris had to roll 3 times on every system, including Core systems,
twice
> on 5-6 breakdown, once on 4-6 breakdown.  This shut down the BB (BDN
> really) totally, every system, including all Core systems.  A drastic
> effect for 16 Mass Factors of equipment!

chop chop chop

> > One Crippled CE and one Crippled DH carrier survived the fight.  But
it
> was won by the EMP missiles.

cut cut cut

> On a more general question, Why would you build ships faster than
Thrust
> 2? The extra 10% hull space dropping from Thrust 4 can be a lot of
> weapon systems, and with the ability to swing ship direction under a
> vector movement system even a Thrust 1 ship can almost always face
> towards an enemy.

I would say you answered your own question.  If your opponent is going
take slow 'thrust 2' ships load up on the missiles (salvo and mt) with a
nice chunk of fighters to back them up (or maybe just a huge amount of
one,
it is up to you).  If you move slow in a game of FT against a fleet
armed
with those kind of weapons it won't be very gentle for you.  High speed
is
your best defense (IMHO) against those kinds of weapons and you can only
really move at high speed (because of turning) if you have a high thrust
ship.

I'm not saying that you did or did not use the emp missiles correctly,
somebody else well answer that question better than I, - but missiles
are
VERY effective weapons against large ships with slow thrust (unless they
have HUGE amounts of point defense and then you lost the mass advantage
you
were looking for anyhow).

If your opponent is going to take slow ships and you can design your own
before play I would suggest putting one of those external salvo racks on
each ship just to teach him a lesson.

just a few thoughts

Chad

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: Re: FTFB-Q about thrust 1 ships