Prev: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) ) Next: Re: Air Cav

Re: GZG List? FT Asteroids, anyone?

From: "Jared E Noble" <JNOBLE2@m...>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:37:16 -0900
Subject: Re: GZG List? FT Asteroids, anyone?

Take the threshold idea and run with it.  Give your asteroids a Size
rating
- the number of damage points it takes to split it - essentially the
first
threshold row - and then give them damage points accordingly. When the
first threshold is taken the asteroid splits.  Divide the second damage
row
into 2 nearly equal parts.  those are the 2 medium size asteroids.  each
takes damage separately and splits on threshold.  Further subdivisions
represent smaller asteroids, etc.

For more variety, when you actually cross a threshold and break up the
asteroid, randomly determine how many pieces it breaks into - from 2 to
4
for example.  Larger pieces will of course take more damage, and smaller
pieces will move more quickly.	keep dividing until only 1 point
asteroids.

So a size 7 asteroid - first damage row is completed so roll to see how
many pieces it splits into - 1,2,3=2  4,5=3  6=4  roll a 3, so 2 pieces
(one 3 pt. one 4 pt)

Here's the damage chart for the asteroid
x x x x|x x x  <- first split (roll a 3 - split into 2 parts)
x x o o|x x x  <- 4 pt asteroid taken 2 pts, 3 pt split
o o o o|x o|x  <- first portion will split later
o o o o|o o|-

when the rock split, the 4-pt piece on the left side of the damage chart
has only taken 2 pts and has not split further. the right 3 pt rock took
all 3 pts and split into 2 pieces, a 2 pt and a 1 pt.  The 1 pt was
destroyed, while the 2 pt has only taken 1 damage and not split yet.

For fun, when the rock splits determine it's new course and speed by a
d12
clock face for course and 2d6 (or even 3d6 if vicious) minus asteroid
size.
If using vector movement, ADD this amount to the previous vector prior
the split.  Do not assume collision with an asteroid is automatically
fatal
- for every size point of the asteroid that hits you, your ship takes
1d6
damage.  Big ships could survive impacts by a few small asteroids
("Asteroids do not concern me admiral, I want that ship").

for even more nastiness, use the energy of the asteroid - 1/2 mv^2
Square
the velocity of the asteroid, multiply by size, divide by 2 - roll that
many dice, counting damage as beams.  (hmmm - that's sounding close to
the
instant death thing again)

just a few rambling thoughts

Jared Noble

tom.anderson@altavista.net on 09/15/98 05:38:03 AM

Please respond to FTGZG-L@bolton.ac.uk

To:   ftgzg-l@bolton.ac.uk
cc:    (bcc: Jared E Noble/AAI/ARCO)

 ---- schoon you wrote:

> The big questions are how many damage points to break asteroids to
smaller
> sizes, how many points each break is worth, and the speed of a given
size
> "chunk."

how about determining asteroid breakup by making a threshold check? if
you
are teaching game mechanics, then this kills two birds with one stone
('scuse the pun). in fact, this would be an opportunity to develop some
asteroid design/operation rules, which might also be useful in regular
games for asteroid bases, etc. maybe.

Tom

Prev: FTFB- After Action Report/Newbie questions (longish :-) ) Next: Re: Air Cav