Prev: Re: [SG2] [DS2] [semi OT]PA & various B.S..was Women wargamers Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers

Re: Air Cav

From: "James Yonemura" <james.yonemura@w...>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 23:44:26 -0700
Subject: Re: Air Cav

If you're asking why anyone would run air cav, then the answer would
have
to be to have the mobility to take advantage of your opponent's errors.

A friend told me about a game he had where he was given a cpy of
airmobile
infantry plus a platoon of air-lifted light (size 1) armor armed w
lasers.
His side's objective was to take out the opponent's HQ emplacement.
From
what I remember, the bad guys left a couple of platoons of infantry & a
few
GMS vehicles for defense. All the AAA was at the line of battle
protecting
the defending armor. Everyone else was focusing their attention on the
big
armor clash while he dropped in on the HQ unit. He ended up losing his
vehicles, but while they were dying, his infantry was not getting chewed
up
by APSWs. The HQ unit was destroyed, the game ended, and his sides armor
guys stopped wondering where their infantry support went.

It wasn't an easy fight. He lost a number of VTOLs on the way in, but
fortunately, he had more VTOLs than they had launchers. He also had more
than his fair share of lucky die rolls vs his opponent's unlucky rolls.
However, he never would have got there without the VTOLs.

Jim Yonemura