Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: Re: Fighter Question

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

From: Tony Wilkinson <twilko@o...>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 02:03:09 +0100
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

At 14:15 13/09/98 +1000, you wrote:
>>Yes. Correction of the problem is difficult too. There is one thing
>though that works for us: the constant turn-over of students. The kids
>there now have quite different attitudes from previous years.

	That can only be a good thing.

>> I don't think it was as bad when I was there (10 years ago)
>> as it appears to be now, but getting through is tough enough without
the
>> fear of being raped, whcih has happened.
>
>Alas yes it has. Did you report the problems? Was there any official or
>unofficial mechanism/channel whereby you could? There's also been a
>witch hunt or three since then to correct the problems. Royal
>Commissions, etc. One good thing that has come of it is that there are
>many channels for reporting problems now.
>I believe that the situation is dramatically better now than 5 years
>ago, but 10 years I dunno, I wasn't at ADFA then.

	The cases of rape that I have heard about happened after I had
left. No
rumours of the sort when I was there but then until someone reports it,
it
will stay underground. One woman in my Division made a complaint and
whilst
the rumour mill went into overdrive but hard info was impossible. All
parties were not to discuss the issue.

>Another (obvious) caveat is that as Staff, I probably know less than
10%
>of what is actually going on.

	Ummm, less than 5% including how to hack into the main computer
system on
which ALL records are kept (or were in my day). As for behaviour in the
lines I'm afraid no one but the cadets really know what happens and I
found
it impossible to explain to other people including the officers.

	Tony.
	twilko@ozemail.com.au

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers Next: Re: Fighter Question