Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: [MISC] alternative rules

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

From: tom.anderson@a...
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 12:49:12 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

 ---- los wrote:
> Scott Jaqua wrote:
> > >Add to the list, the Empress Jingo' of Japan, who led an invasion
of Korea,
> > while pregnant.
> Actually, my hat goes off to Margaret Thatcher when it comes to
leaders and ass
> kickers. Here's a lady that actually used to participate in SAS
exercizes to
> include sitting IN the kill house during  live fire take down, and
more than
> once chastising her male counterparts for cringing in fear. hear hear.

which brings us to an important point: most of the people mentioned so
far (jeanne d'arc, empress jingo', mrs thatcher) were most definitely a
bit wrong in the head. joan of arc was schizophrenic (she heard voices);
to go into battle whilst pregnant (although we do not know how pregnant:
one month? eight months?) shows that Jingo' was a bit loopy, and mrs
thatcher is well known for being off her trolley, although in a more
moderate and discreet way (in short, a more british way :-).

i think that examples of great female war leaders (all of whom were
really politicians/rulers rather than purely military officers) is not a
useful contribution to this debate. otoh, we know of very few individual
female soldiers at any time in history, so i can't propose any better
source of evidence.

Tom

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: [MISC] alternative rules