Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish.

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain@d...>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 11:57:37 +1000
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

John Atkinson wrote:

> >2. Most of the problems a rising from females in the military have to
> do >more with us men, and the double fitness standard imposed by the
> Army.
>
> My favorite pet peeve.  How about going from male/female standards to
> REMF/Real Soldier standards?	Clerk-typists all get the old female
> standards, and combat soldiers _all_ get the male standards (or
> harsher).

OK, I'm not going to speak "ex cathedra" here, but it's time for a
disclaimer:
"Any opinions expressed herein reflect my own views and not those of the
Australian Defence Force Academy, the Australian Department of Defence,
nor the University of NSW."

I teach at ADFA, the Australian Dfenec Force Academy (you may have
noticed this on the tagline. The .oz bit shows that it was on the
Internet while it was still DARPAnet (Defence Advanced Research Project
Agency network). Anyway, I teach Officer Cadets, Midshipmen etc from all
services (and not a few exchange students, from Thailand, Singapore
etc).

About 40% of the Computer Science students and 20% of the Engineers are
female. At least one top student from last year has the ambition to
command a submarine. I think she'll make it. She has the situational
awareness and cool (and intellect) to do so. Other females are going for
aircrew, though not many for fighters.

The only problem I have with the military side are the number of
casualties during training. They play sports like Rugby (Imagine
Gridiron without any padding). Males and Females. Something like 20% of
the cadets get injured badly over a year ( badly == more than one broken
bone, or permanent incapacity).

I've noticed no distinction between male vs female casualty rates. The
males are generally stronger, the females quicker. Any of them could
beat me in just about any physical activity except possibly
weightlifting.

There is one difference, thinking about it: males are more likely to get
injured in vehicle accidents, and tend to get more arm injuries in
sports than leg injuries.

mature a fair bit...). But there are others I would feel very comfy with
as commanders. And neither the service (Army, Air Force, Navy) nor the
Gender correlate in any way with their leadership ability.

 abrain@cs.adfa.oz.au  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo	 oo

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish.