Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

From: Mike Looney - ionet <mlooney@i...>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 09:48:08 -0500
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

douglase@osabs01.inet.att.co.kr wrote:

> It seems a little odd to me that everyone appears to be using
> fictional
> proof for their theory on female command ability.  Granted there are
> not a
> whole lot of non-fiction examples to look at but basing a conclusion
> on
> some one elses idea in a story would appear to cast into doubt the
> conclusion.
>	  Joan of Arc was an incredible leader.  Of course being on a
> mission from
> God probably did not hurt :).  Off the top of my head I can not think
> of
> many others.	Have to do some searching on this one.
>	  This seems to be a trend when I talk to others about this.
> "Why do you think women should be in combat?"
> "Well if GI Jane can do it  than why cant other women"
> Am I the only one that sees the problem with this logic?
>
> I believe that anyone with the ability to meet the requirements for a
> job
> should be able to do that job.  Regardless.  I will stop now.

The best Battery Commander, Battery XO and the best Platoon Leader I had
in my 10 years in the US Army were all female.

Granted this was in peace time, but still, of all the BC/XO/PL I worked
for, these 3 were the ones I would want to have in charge if the USSR
had come across the Fulda Gap.

I will also allow that I was in Air Defense (long range Missiles at
that), which has a some what _odd_ view of the whole Air/Land battle
thing.

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus
http://www.spellbooksoftware.com

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.