Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: OT[DS2]TD Design

Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

From: douglase@o...
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 08:23:55 -0500
Subject: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish

At 06:44 AM 9/11/98 -0500, you wrote:
>You wrote:
>
>>>From the female starship captions/admirals on TV and in books you
>find some >common traits:
>>1) Commands-most of the female captions don't command "the big ships,"

>Read some Weber--lots of Women commanding fleets with superdreadnought
>flagships, etc.  IIRC, even Honor commanded some straight-up fleet
>actions.
>
>>2) Female captions are more likely to think before acting.  This also
>
>Again, some Weber stuff has women bulling through when it's necessary.
>
>John M. Atkinson

It seems a little odd to me that everyone appears to be using fictional
proof for their theory on female command ability.  Granted there are not
whole lot of non-fiction examples to look at but basing a conclusion on
some one elses idea in a story would appear to cast into doubt the
conclusion.
	Joan of Arc was an incredible leader.  Of course being on a
mission from
God probably did not hurt :).  Off the top of my head I can not think of
many others.  Have to do some searching on this one.
	This seems to be a trend when I talk to others about this.
"Why do you think women should be in combat?"
"Well if GI Jane can do it  than why cant other women"
Am I the only one that sees the problem with this logic?

I believe that anyone with the ability to meet the requirements for a
job
should be able to do that job.	Regardless.  I will stop now.

							That Darn Chuck
Guy

Prev: Re: [semi OT] Women wargamers -longish Next: Re: OT[DS2]TD Design