Prev: Re: Optional Core Systems Hits (was: Re: FB designs and SLMs) Next: Re: [DS2]TD Design

[FT universe] was [URL] New Star and Campaign Maps

From: "Richard Slattery" <richard@m...>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 00:30:08 +0100
Subject: [FT universe] was [URL] New Star and Campaign Maps

On 10 Sep 98, at 9:20, Tim Jones wrote:

> Being that the current maps are 7pc and a
> very big FTL jump is 7ly (~2pc) what sort of
> radius do we think the FT background covers.
>
> 25pc? more?? (thats a lot of stars dudes)

This is something I've been giving some thought about.. how big is
the (human) explored area?

Well... how fast do FT ships go FTL? I've been working on a
guestimate of 1ly per day, which I think roughly fits with the rough
campaign rules in one of the FT books.

How long have humanity been exploring?
>From the timeline.... it starts properly about 2070, and it's 'now'
2183 (ish) that's about 40,000 days. Rather a long time. Actual
exploration during this time is limited by:
1) Getting the infrastructure in place for each successive forward
base to explore from.
2) Budgetary considerations. (Exploring in all directions from the
center of a sphere can take a lot of ships/probes) also, setting up
the forward bases to stage from can mount up in cost.
3) Interruptions due to the balkanised warfare situation in FT.
4) Navigational problems?, is the length of a period of FTL limited to
only between stars a certain distance apart? this can dramatically
slow exploration. Other PSB reasons abound.
5) Corporate policy / political will. Variable as hell ;)
6) Something I haven't thought of... hey, I'm working this out as I go
along, don't hassle me :)

However, my feeling is that the long of the short of it is.... probes
and explorations ships could have gone a LONG way... perhaps a
few hundred ly. The furthest ones will only just be getting their
results back to the core. However, there isn't going to be anything
much in the way of colonies out that far.... getting the infrastructure
in place means ferrying lots of resources back and forth, which
takes time, and money. There will also be some pretty big gaps of
knowledge on a frontier that big... encompassing thousands of
stars means there hasn't been enough time to explore many of
them.

Which makes me take a step back... this is unmanageable if you
actually want to map the FT 'universe' for a campaign game... so
finding reasons to limit the size to something we can cope with
needs to be put in place... strengthening some or all of the
numbered points above can be enough to drop the 'developed' core
regions to perhaps a hundred or so ly across, with spiderwebs of
'frontier' explorations tracing out from it.
Depending on how you feel... you can put the alien races humanity
just contacted on the end of a finger hundreds of ly away, or in a
gap between them, far closer, that they didn't happen to explore
yet.

Using the excellent chview program and fiddling about with sizes of
area, length of jump (if you want to use that as a limitation) natural
clusters of interesting/valuable/strategic systems etc, and you get
a feel for the scale of the problem/opportunity ;)

Just some (unstructured) thoughts to chew on...

Richard Slattery	     richard@mgkc.demon.co.uk
Canada has never been a melting pot; more like a tossed salad.
     Arnold Edinborough

Prev: Re: Optional Core Systems Hits (was: Re: FB designs and SLMs) Next: Re: [DS2]TD Design