Prev: Re: [DS2]TD Design Next: Re: [SG2] Morale Suggestion: Enfilade

Re: [OT] Re: GenCon UK mini-report- Women

From: Shrike <voivode@i...>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 21:18:08 +0000
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: GenCon UK mini-report- Women

At 11:32 PM 9/8/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Well, guys (in the gender-neutral form), occasionally a blind sow finds
>pearl.  Having always tried to rise above the morass of typical gamers,
by
>skillful use of soap and toothpaste, I managed to snare myself a
Spouse.
> Not just any Spouse - a real honest-to-Rodina brunette Russian Jewess,

>twice removed from the Motherland.  Her temper reminds me of Ivanova's,
as
>well.	Should NEVER have tought her those hapkido techniques.
>
>Not to brag (too much), just to let you know that there is hope.

I just have to follow this one. . .I am not only married to a fiery
redhead, but to a fiery redhead who roleplays and. . . . wargames!  She
ia
an absolute mini's nut (though she prefers the more "fantastic" ones).

Of course I have always been a traitor to the game world, I always chose
date over a game.

This does bring up the topic, that women and wargames are seldom seen
together, I think that most of the gaming people are shocked that my
wife
plays wargames and enjoys them (i.e. not there because her husband is).
possibly start a flame war, I think that it would help if there were
more
"elegant" styled mini's for the games.	She (meaning women) is much more
likely to choose (to use an example we ALL know) an Eldar over a Space
marine force simply because the mini's are more "elegant and graceful"
in
appearance.  Same thing with ships, she is more likely to go with a
Vorlon
ship than an Earth Force destroyer.  Once they get into the game and
start
to play they may then get interested in more "realistic" based games
with
rugged, warlike mini's that are about effect, not appearance.
	For the record, this is not a generalization, it is a
specification, based
on my personal experiences with women gamers, it may not represent women
as
a whole, but it does represent those that I know.

Later,

Happily shackled husband. . .

Ryan, aka Shrike
voivode@io.com

I usually have political .sigs but I figure my main text was enough this
time. . .

Prev: Re: [DS2]TD Design Next: Re: [SG2] Morale Suggestion: Enfilade