Prev: [URL] New Star and Campaign Maps Next: Re: [DS2]TD Design

Re: Another TD idea

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 11:24:21 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: Another TD idea

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998, John Atkinson wrote:

> Remember the only reason they existed was in order to stuff guns that
> could kill any tank on the battlefield at long range into an
affordable
> hull. (ie not as big as a Tiger or JSII)  Once 90/100mm guns became
> managable enough to stuff into a tank turret, then it became a
> non-issue.  I can stuff an MDC/4 into a size 3 turreted chassis at an
> affordable cost, so why do I need a tank destroyer?

Though I could argue for the merits of of turretless TD, the real point
is
that IMHO you don't *need* to need a TD. All I ask for is to be able to
take one, *without* getting severely penalized, if I *want* one.

I thought the whole point of DSII was to be able to play with *my*
miniatures in *my* world.

I may be asking too much, but I think "being able to play" includes
"being
able to play *at roughly equal footing*", i.e. it excludes "the stuff
they
put in to be able to say it's there but no one should really use".

E.g. let's say I want to play out the battles in Hammer's Slammers novel
"The Warrior". The opposing forces include a top-notch merc TD unit. Am
to believe that those mercs simply made an outmoded, obsolete, useless
and
stupid design choice and the high regard given by the Slammers is
completely unfounded?

Let's say I want to build a generic unit based on this fictional
example.

In other words: How would it hurt your turreted force that I might field
viable turretless designs?

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: [URL] New Star and Campaign Maps Next: Re: [DS2]TD Design