Prev: Re: [SGII] Psi Powers in Stargrunt Next: RE: [SG2] Morale Suggestion: Enfilade

Re: [SG2] Morale Suggestion: Enfilade

From: agoodall@s... (Allan Goodall)
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 00:18:53 GMT
Subject: Re: [SG2] Morale Suggestion: Enfilade

On Tue, 08 Sep 1998 20:37:45 +1000, "Glover, Owen"
<oglover@mov.vic.gov.au>
wrote:

>Well Tim, I certainly agree with the idea of a morale rule here; but I
think
>you are trying to reflect the effect of Surprise. Enfilade is laying
the
>long arc of fire onto the long axis of the target.

Quite true. However...

>Receiving fire unexpectedly from the front OR rear would be a cause for
>morale test!!

... I did think of this but thought it would be a bit cumbersome...

>We play a modified terrain rule for some games; instead of clumps of
bush,
>we describe the area as lightly treed - visibility 4 Range Bands or
maybe
>heavily treed - visibility 2 Range Bands. So, Regulars can only see
320m or
>160m max whereas a SF team (Elites) could see (AND FIRE) 480m or 240m
>respectively.

...which is why I didn't want to get into sighting rules. I have a
number of
games with sighting rules. I find they drag things a bit. Of course, an
easier
way to handle it in SG2 terms is to simply force a morale check when a
unit is
attacked from the rear OR attacked by a heretofore hidden unit. You
don't need
sighting ranges and such, just a hidden unit. I think I'll incorporate
this
into my "enfilade" rules.

Mind you, I think your sighting rules are nice and straightforward.

>So the idea of a "surprise" morale check for taking fire from an
unknown
>enemy is very appropriate! Quite reasonable too.

Yes, I hope Jon incorporates something like this into Bugs Don't Surf.

>Anyway, Tim. I do like your idea. More thoughts on the die modifiers?

I haven't fully tested these rules, so I'm not sure how the die
modifiers work
in practice. The next SG2 game I play (within a month) will incorporate
these
rules.

Allan Goodall	       agoodall@sympatico.ca

"We come into the world and take our chances
 Fate is just the weight of circumstances
 That's the way that Lady Luck dances
 Roll the bones." - N. Peart

Prev: Re: [SGII] Psi Powers in Stargrunt Next: RE: [SG2] Morale Suggestion: Enfilade