Prev: Re: GenCon UK mini-report [semi-OT I guess...] Next: Re: Miniature Wargaming can be HAZARDOUS to your health!

[DS2]TD Design

From: <MBaines@v...>
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 11:04:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: [DS2]TD Design

There are three points to address about TDs. I am referring to the
classic
TD design as a WWII German approach. Fixed mounted, large weapon on a
low
silhouette heavily armoured hull.

Firstly the fact that a similarly equipped turreted and fixed mount
vehicle
cost the same number of points. This is clearly unfair. The turreted
vehicle should be worth substantially more points. This would require
more
experience than I currently have but it may be worth reducing the points

cost of a fixed mounted weapon by 20%, thoughts?

Secondly the classic TD design should allow the mounting of a larger
weapon. To address this I would propose allowing fixed mount weapons to
be
VSC+2 maximum. The vehicle would still have to use the proper space for
the
weapon. This weapon would still be subject to the reduced cost of a
fixed
mount mentioned above.

Thirdly, to increase the armour the vehicle must  use spaces equal the
VSC.
Armour increase is limited to one factor. The signature of vehicle
remains
the same, you can just put more punch in a smaller chassis. I think that
it
wouldn't be too unreasonable to allow the overall armour to be increased
by
one, you still have to pay the points for it. Thoughts?

Optional, if you think that the TD needs more disadvantage with its new
big
gun and armour there are a couple of points you could incorporate. TDs
with
oversize guns should pay for Fast Tracked/Wheeled and get Slow movement
and
fast is not possible. Or limit the armour increase to only the frontal
or
frontal and side armour.

Here are two examples of basic tanks:

MBT Size 3, Armour 3, Signature 3
15x1.6=24
FGP 14.4
FT 9.6
MDC 4 Turreted 40
Sup FC 24
Enh ECM 30
Total 142

TD Size 2, Armour 3, Signature 2
10x1.6=16
FGP 9.6
FT  6.4
MDC 4 Fixed 40 or 32
Sup FC 24
Enh ECM 30
Total 126 or 118

If the points spread seems to be too much I suggest that you try to
attack
with several TD platoons. Their turreted opponents are much more
flexible.
They are much like the Force, Yoda says you must use them for defense
and
never for attack!

Murray Baines (250)356-9668

Prev: Re: GenCon UK mini-report [semi-OT I guess...] Next: Re: Miniature Wargaming can be HAZARDOUS to your health!