Prev: RE: Chat Reminder Next: Re: [OT] Paranoia (not the game...)

RE: [MIN] Fortess Figures (was Re: Another TD idea)

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Sun, 6 Sep 1998 09:18:31 -0500
Subject: RE: [MIN] Fortess Figures (was Re: Another TD idea)

Fortress Figures has an interesting story.  They were a small (2-3
person)
outfit in Elwood, Indiana, just 30 mins north of yours truly in
Indianapolis.  They had developed a very good (and very secret) way of
molding plastic figs at a higher detail level than most other companies.

 Some of their stuff was great, but some was also crap (I really didn't
like the GEVs & the spaceships they did, but that may be more of a
design
than production beef).	They had been approached by Steve Jackson Games
produce new Ogre minis, but that was apparently bogged down by problems
of
production and other things I'm not privy to.  I think it was problems
with
Ral Partha, the previous producer of Ogre minis for SJG.  But, that's
guesswork.  They used space and equipment that belonged to a game store
owner in Elwood, IN.  The owner, being of advanced age, fell very ill,
and
the store began to slide (next generation didn't want anything to do
with
it).  The owner lost most of his mental faculties and his power of
attorney, the store reverted to a train/doll/craft store, the molding
equipment was sold, and the space converted to other uses.  The
developer
got all equipment related to his molding process, and now FF is defunct.

 They made some very detailed fantasy figs, and some terrain
accessories.
 It may still be available in bargain racks around the country.

Qualifier: lots of the above is reliable hearsay, but hearsay
nonetheless.
 All, some or none of it may be true.
They produced the Hover APC, the Hover Missile Tank (one big rocket) and
small Hover TD (med gun mounted almost flush along one side of the
deck).

Noah