Prev: Re: Acceleration Mass Equation Next: Re: Anti-armor mines!

Re: Anti-armor mines!

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 16:01:45 +1200
Subject: Re: Anti-armor mines!

Brad Holden <holden@tokyo-rose.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>>    Today's gravity meters mounted Los Angeles class submarines can
detect
>>opposing Soviet submarines. See a recent issue of Scientific American,
which
>>discusses declassified US Navy gravitometers and their accuracy.
>>Given 100-200 years of rapidly improving technology, and I can see no
reason
>>why mines couldn't be located from outside their burst radius.
>Uh, are you sure about that?  I read the article and I don't remember
>the gravitometer being that good....  I am just checking, I am not
>saying your wrong.

Scientific American June, 1998 issue. Page 58. Third column. Third
paragraph:
    "... Because the submarine gradiometer system was still a classified
military technology, much of the work designing the experimental
protocols
and assessing the raw data took place behind a door that was closed and
barred to the civilian geologists involved....
    "And over the next few months, as "sanitized" sets of data (ones
from
which the information presented would not reveal any military secrets)
began
to emerge from behind locked doors in Buffalo, the power of gravity
gradiometry became clear."

On page 61, left picture, the pixels depicting gravity gradient appear
to be
too smooth!

    The article introduction claims "...classified technique used to
navigate ballistic-missile submarines..."

A submarine weighs 1000's of tons. Like under water mountain ridges!

Therefore it is fairly clear to me that US subs could detect the
presence of
unknown submarines with the use of gravity gradiometers.

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/