Prev: GZG DS2 GEV: Mobility of GEVs. Next: Re: Another TD idea

Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

From: "Andrew Martin" <Al.Bri@x...>
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 1998 10:28:10 +1200
Subject: Re: GZG DS2 Mikko: Genres for DS2.

Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@swob.dna.fi> wrote:
>Long, long time ago I played AD&D. We didn't really like it, but it was
>one of the few things widely available. So we made changes. And
changes.
>And more changes until the thing resembled AD&D only barely (and it
still
>didn't quite work). Finally I started wondering why the %&#&#%& I'm
paying
>them money for a product I need to spend this much time fixing? Since
>then, we've played GURPS...
    Yes, I've played AD&D as well, and tried to fix it... I spent far
too
long at it, and brought far too many game systems to try to find a
system
that worked properly. You can find out some more about my favourite RPG
system at my web site here:
    http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/

>Well, properly playtesting rule changes is very tedious work. Frankly,
>*really, really* doubt any game company on this planet does enough
>playtesting to gather statistically meaningful samples.
    I doubt that any gaming company can afford to! That's what players
have
been used for!

>Frankly, if I want to play something vanilla DSII doesn't cover too
well,
>I'm much more likely to buy a product that does (from ANY company) than
>try to fix DSII.
    I've bought lots of product from other companies, BattleTech from
FASA
in several editions, Mechton Plus and Mechton Zeta from RTG, WRG's
1925-1950
and 1950-2000 Wargame rules, and other's whose name I can't remember.
*All*
fall short of Star Grunt II, Dirtside II, Full Thrust and More Thrust.
I've
even got the Fleet book on order from Australia.
    If you do find something that covers ultramodern and futuristic
warfare
better than DSII (other than the real thing available to John Atkinson
:-)
!), PLEASE let us know! But I don't think you will be able to!
    GZG products cover the field and are designed well enough to allow
easy
modification to suit almost any genre.
    So, what's your vision/setting/book/movie that you want? Let us
know,
maybe we can get to work in designing a good set of limitations that are
believable.

Andrew Martin
Shared email: Al.Bri@xtra.co.nz
Web Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/
Blind See-Saw Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/SEE-SAW/
Dirtside II Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/
Dirtside II FAQ: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/
GZG E-Mail FAQ:
http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/DSII/FAQ/Ettiquette.html
FUDGE GM Site: http://members.xoom.com/AndrewMartin/FUDGE/

Prev: GZG DS2 GEV: Mobility of GEVs. Next: Re: Another TD idea