Prev: RE: Regrouping Qs Next: Re: GZG {OT] Paranoia (not the game...)

Re: [OT] Paranoia (not the game...)

From: Mikko Kurki-Suonio <maxxon@s...>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 09:06:08 +0300 (EEST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Paranoia (not the game...)

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Noah Doyle wrote:

> GDW goes under.  TSR bought by Wizards of the Coast.	West End Games
falls
> to corporate stupidity (profits used to finance a shoe business).
Avalon
> Hill (Panzerblitz, Squad Leader, THE Avalon Hill!) folds, and goes to
> Hasbro, who'll probably chop it up.
>
> Tell me GZG is doing well.

GZG is considerably smaller than any of these outfits. Smaller means
more survivable *if* the owner considers it a labor of love and hasn't
quit his day job. I dare to guess that's the case with Jon.

I run a (very) small business importing paintball equipment. The profits
are next to nothing, but I haven't borrowed any capital for it and my
day
job provides my real income, so I can keep it running indefinitely.

We had Ray Greer from Hero Games speaking at RoPeCon this year. He came
into the "industry" from the finance side, so to speak, and curiously he
was the first and so far only industry person I've to offer sane advice
prospective game designers:

DON'T QUIT YOUR DAY JOB!

--
maxxon@swob.dna.fi (Mikko Kurki-Suonio) 	   | A pig who doesn't
fly

Prev: RE: Regrouping Qs Next: Re: GZG {OT] Paranoia (not the game...)