Prev: Re: Fleet Book Missile Question Next: DSII WWII Variant Questions

Re: [DS2] GEV mechanics

From: Pmj6@a...
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 18:23:48 EDT
Subject: Re: [DS2] GEV mechanics

In a message dated 9/2/1998 4:05:32 PM Central Daylight Time,
jatkins6@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< There is no problem with official scales.  There is a problem with
the
 current generation of wargamers who grew up looking at a book that says

 XYZ tank can go XYZ mph, and expecting to take their tank platoons and
 drive it around a battlefield at XYZ mph.  And most rulesets permit
 this.	I've seen Command Decision (fine game, but. . )tanks moving 50"
 in a turn.  NOT!  Tactical operations are a LOT slower than the book
 speeds.

 John M. Atkinson >>

I'm familiar with CD, which happens to be my favorite set of rules.  50"
at 50
meters per inch in a 15 minute CD turn turns out to be exactly 10 km/h.
While
this is considerably less than the vehicle's actual speed, it is likely
to be
an accurate representation of its average speed in the course of 15
minuts of
action, which is exactly what Frank Chadwick intended to show.	I don't
have a
problem with that at all.  Obviously an M1A1 would not spend 15 minutes
cruising at 30mph cross country in the presence of enemy.  However, it
would
reach that speed for short periods of time when rushing from one
overwatch
position to another.

My objection concerned using scales to calculate "real" speeds.  Since
they
reflect average speeds you cannot use them to calculate vehicles'
maximum
speeds.

Besides, my main point was that a GEV would not have any appreciable
mobility
advantage over a fast tracked vehicle when moving through Clear terrain
for
reasons I outlined in an earlier post.

Mike Jasinski

Prev: Re: Fleet Book Missile Question Next: DSII WWII Variant Questions