Prev: Tank Destroyers (was: GE Mechanics) Next: Re: Tank Destroyers (was: GE Mechanics)

Re: [OT] Re: Meaning and origin of term I've heard in a few movi

From: Los <los@c...>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 18:36:46 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: Meaning and origin of term I've heard in a few movi

Tom, (I thought I'd post to the group since it's relevant)

I'm not disagreeing with you. While I know more than my fair share about
carrier ops,
that's the first I've ever heard about 5x5 originating from there. What
I do know for a
fact is that 5x5 has been used (forever) as an indication of signal
strength and clarity
by radiomen and Ham operators. In particular when almost all long range
communications
were conducted with morse, a system of brevity for reception
confirmation was required
to ensure receipt of radio messages, in particular when antennas had to
be tweaked to
get the right bounce of the atmosphere or whatever. (Something still
done in SPECOPS
HF/VHF long range commo) It is possible that pilots, themselves required
to do much
"work' in the radio/communications world, could have started spreading
the term around
for other uses. In fact five by five now has widespread usage in all
kinds of ways but
usually means everythings peachy. (more or less) <g>

Thomas Barclay wrote:

> Los spake thusly upon matters weighty:
>
> If you disagree, why would it be five by five - where do the fives
> come from? I was under the impression this started in the Aircraft
> Carrier world and the expression spread from there to more general
> RTO to mean 'loud and clear' or 'everything a-okay'. Please suggest
> why the phrase five by five would have any other meaning or any
> special meaning in comms? At least the Aircraft Carrier explanation
> of a 10x10 grid makes sense. Then 5x5 is dead on, everything is fine.
> I haven't seen an equally complete or satisfactory explanation of why
> this would have originated in the comms environment. I'm not saying
> it didn't, but if it did I'd sure like to know its genesis and the
> reasoning behind this phrase.
>
> Thomas.
>
> > While this is a correct interpretation of what the term means in
Aliens, it is not