Prev: FT PRG Making campaign maps with ftmap Next: Re: Unofficial Civilizations

Irish Ship Names

From: "Michael Blair" <amfortas@h...>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 1998 03:22:08 PDT
Subject: Irish Ship Names

A while back someone was asking about Irish ship names. The problem is
that for a long time Ireland was British (favourite trick question, What

was the second largest city in Britain after London in the nineteenth
century? Answer: Dublin!).
This is still delicate ground so I am trying to be acurate without
offending anyone (Northern Ireland, twinned with Bosnia?).
The Royal Navy had some famous Irish ship names, HMS Erin and HMS
Shannon spring readily to mind. A look at any old ship list (Conway has
a nice but expensive one) should do the trick.
Re the Irish question. Is it part of the NAC? Not without a lot of
bother, Personally I would love to see them back in the union but I
doubt it.

		 Michael R. Blair

Prev: FT PRG Making campaign maps with ftmap Next: Re: Unofficial Civilizations