Prev: Re: SG2, using jetbikes in stargrunt. Next: Re: SG Humor

Re: SG2, using jetbikes in stargrunt.

From: jatkins6@i... (John Atkinson)
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 23:29:11 -0500 (CDT)
Subject: Re: SG2, using jetbikes in stargrunt.

You wrote:

>Any smart player would take pot shots at the just so they can not
dismount, thus >invalidating the purpose of the troops.The only way is
to withdraw from combat >ro find cover.

I'd make it worse than that.  I'd let the effects of the supression
take effect as if they were infantry--after all, these bikers are not
exactally protected by armor.

>Maybe it is the way I use them, but I use them to get units to
advantagous >places on the field. Unless there is lots of covor, just 1
suppression HURTS.

Ideally, mounted infantry should use the bikes for operational and
tactical mobility before entering combat.  IOW, you get there quickly,
then dismount to fight.  I've never heard of a mounted infantry unit
dismounting under fire deliberately (ie as part of their plan).  You
either get off when you get to the scene of the fight (see: Buford's
Cavalry Brigade at Gettysburg) or your CO makes the determination that
the battle will be fought mounted (As in the Light Horse charge that
was obviously the inspiration for this whole thing in the first place).

>The best way to use them, is to allow them to dismount while suppress
(any idiot >can dsimount a bike, an APC is alot harder).

It's not a matter of "hard"--dismounting an APC is easy.  It's a matter
of it's dangerous out there, and the APC provides an illusion of
security.

>There is IMHO a good need for cavalry rules for SGII, something for
Bugs Dont >Surf??

How about double all rolls for shooting at cavalry units, but the
mounts and riders are seperate for determining shooting.  Horses run
about naked, but since I'm generous I'll give them a d4 armor.	If you
can FIND an SF Barded horse miniature, you can make up all the rules
you like 'bout it.  Mounted units never recieve cover bonuses nor go in
position while mounted.  They are also counted as one range category
closer 'coz horses are big.
If a man's horse is shot out from under him, roll on following chart:
d6
1 KIA
2-3 Wounded (White Skull)
4-5 Stunned--no further actions this turn
6 Fine.  Any soldier loosing three or more mounts in a single action
and rolling 6s must have an epic poem composed about them.

This simple rule modification will soon cure any idiots out there of
trying to carry out a sabre charge.  This isn't Napoleonics
gaming--anyone deliberately planning charges on horseback into
automatic weapons fire should be shot for incompetence.

And yes, I know the Aussies did it Palestine.  The Turks also messed up
the sights on their weapons so that most of the ground covered was not
actually under fire.  I can recall exactally three other instances
after the widespread introduction of automatic weapons where cavalry
charges carried against infantry.  Plus the wierdness of 1920, wherein
Budenny's Cavalry Army engaged a simillar-sized formation of Polish
cavalry including volunteers composed of noblemen with their fedual
retainers, a scene straight out of the Middle Ages.  But neither side
was what I'd consider heavily equipped with modern weapons.  Of the
other three, two were carried out against infantry moving from a march
column to a fighting formation, and the last was against the Japanese,
not a real leader in the automatic weapons category either.  You do it
against 4 gauss rifles (w/20mm grenade launchers) and a pair of Gauss
SAWs, then you'll end up terminally embarassed.

John M. Atkinson

Prev: Re: SG2, using jetbikes in stargrunt. Next: Re: SG Humor