Prev: Re: SG Humor Next: RE: Proposed Chat Times for Yahoo GZG Club

Re: SG Humor

From: Aaron Teske <ateske@H...>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 19:58:28 -0400
Subject: Re: SG Humor

At 06:36 PM 8/30/98 -0500, you wrote:
>You wrote:
>
>> > On a weekend when they aren't gaming, SG players may be found
>>>   calculating the instability of the ringworld or the specific
>>>   density of the BOLA.
>>
>>	Excuse me... even I didn't get this one.
>
>Misspelled Bolo.

I was thinking that, but it doesn't make sense to me... who cares what
the
density of a Bolo is?  (Or have I just not read enough of the Bolo
books?
Only have three or so.)

>And the Ringworld instabilitiy is a bit of an inside
>joke.	Niven came up with this "Ringworld" number in his Known Universe

>(the only bit of which I bother with is his Man-Kzin Wars stuff, which
>rocks!),

Oddly enough, Man-Kzin is about the only Niven-associated stuff I don't
have... the early stuff was good, but most of the fourth book didn't
impress me at all.  (What, another slaver in stasis? <sigh> )  I should
probably look at the later ones, though... any recommendations?

>which turned into a money machine for him.  And some
>Engineering students sat down and calculated why it wouldn't work due
>to orbital instabilities.  It's in N-Space, IIRC.

Yup.  And Ringworld Engineers, though without the reasons. ^_-

					Aaron Teske
					ateske@HICom.net

Prev: Re: SG Humor Next: RE: Proposed Chat Times for Yahoo GZG Club