Prev: Re: Proposed Chat Times for Yahoo GZG Club Next: Re: Proposed Chat Times for Yahoo GZG Club

Re: Anti-armor mines!

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 10:21:16 -0500
Subject: Re: Anti-armor mines!

John spake thusly upon matters weighty:

> This is why we still emphasis proper probing technique, and likely
will
> into the next century or two.  Just please do yourself a favor and
> don't use a bayonet.	I doubt a little pressure with a wooden or
> fiberglass probe will set most mines off--doing it right, mines would
> have to be too sensitive to be practical.  You get into problems with
> mines that sense off of body heat or seismic indicators (footsteps).

According to the most recent info I have seen (a pam issued this
year),	there are mines out there used in Bosnia and other places
that will detonate from the force of a probe supposedly. I'll check
out the pam and see what type of mine it is (I assume AP).

> But I'd lay loooong odds that there will be enough decent sensors in
> any proper minefields that Engineer will be necessary.  After the
first
> couple infantrymen buy it--I've seen Infantry moving such that the
> entire platoon is within the danger radius of an M-16A1.  All it takes

> is one oops.

And they now have some smart minefields that assess the target (one
guy, a section, whatever) and only detonate an appropriate part of
the minefield... so if you have a section moving in the field, it'll
set off a big chunk of the field and blow the whole section away....

...and of course the anti-helicopter mine is a fun one too....

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: Re: Proposed Chat Times for Yahoo GZG Club Next: Re: Proposed Chat Times for Yahoo GZG Club