Prev: Standards in FT Next: Re: GZG FT: Real world standards.

Re: Modeling Solar Sail Ships

From: Kevin Walker <sage@m...>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 01:13:50 -0000
Subject: Re: Modeling Solar Sail Ships

On the fine day of 24/8/98 10:39 pm cthulhu@csd.uwm.edu wrote:

>Hello:
>	OK, here's a tough one!
>	I've been thinking of trying to create a fleet of solar sail
type
>vessels. (Don't ask me why, we miniature gamers like to think of such
>things.)  However, I've hit one snag:	How in the heck do I model the
>actual "sail."  First I thought of using plastic wrap glued to a frame
>of some sort, but I disarded that quickly because it was transpartent
>and it would sag and look very sloppy.  Tin foil was my next thought.
>But that's too heavy and would look horrible if wrinkled.  Mylar would
>be best if I could find a way to make it fit snuggly against the
model's
>sail frame.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

Something similar to mylar (maybe it is mylar) is/was used for covering
the wings of RC model planes.  It shrinks when heat similar to that
coming from a hair dryer is applied to it.  This material might shrink
with more force than your model can deal with, but it might work out.
Good luck.

Kevin Walker			 Mac Developer / Software Engineer
sage@millcomm.com		 sage@wamnet.com
Rochester  MN  USA		 WAM!NET

Prev: Standards in FT Next: Re: GZG FT: Real world standards.