Prev: Re: Modeling Solar Sail Ships Next: Modeling Solar Sail Ships

RE: Modeling Solar Sail Ships

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 17:30:00 -0500
Subject: RE: Modeling Solar Sail Ships

I've had the same thought bouncing around my head since I picked up FT
these many years gone by.  I've never gotten around to modeling them,
but
some ideas have come up.  First - go to the best hardware store you can
reach.	These things are the greatest source for spare parts &
kitbashing.
 There was a part I saw once, that was near perfect.  It was a very flat

cone, maybe 5-6 cm across, with the point cut off so that a 1cm hole was
in
the middle.  Laid flat, it was no more than 1 cm high.	It was light
metal
(aluminum?), so with some good mounting (heavy wire for the cables & a
good
glue) it would make a great sail.  You realize that you'll need two of
each
mini, for furled & unfurled sails?  I don't know what the real function
of
the part was, or what it was called, but you should be able to find
something good at a hardware store.

Noah