Prev: RE: Infantry Walkers Next: RE: More Important things like baseball

RE: Infantry Walkers

From: Thomas Barclay <Thomas.Barclay@s...>
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 1998 15:32:50 -0500
Subject: RE: Infantry Walkers

Chen-Song spake thusly upon matters weighty:
> Heh, heh, that's one way to use these, riot control against people
who've
> watched to many anime movies... Until they figure out that these
> super-expensive machines can be destroyed with ridiculously low-tech
> methods, like rolling logs, tripwires, potholes, etc.
>
> I know this is all supposed to be just fun, but I guess it's the
engineer
> in me that has to point out all these obvious fatal flaws in design...

I agree (for similar reasons) that walkers are somewhat unviable vis
a vis effective efficient grav vehicles. Too much weight and space
devoted to locomotion, balance, etc. - whereas a grav tank can devote
that space to armour, ECM, and weapons if grav systems are efficient
enough.

Seeing your above comments about logs and tripwires brings back
visions of small furry aboriginal peoples on a green Forest Moon
attacking the All Terrain Combat Walkers of an Evil Empire.... (and
yes, that was played for humor, but most of the tactics would work -
do you remember the one with the two logs, one from each side, that
worked like a nut cracker?). The infantry walker probably appeals to
the japanese anime fans, the BT crowd, and some others. But as a
serious combat vehicle, I'm not sure it will ever fly... or in this
case walk.... although I do have to admit they make cool minis.....

Tom.
Thomas Barclay
Voice: (613) 831-2018 x 4009
Fax: (613) 831-8255

 -Bjarne Stroustrup

Prev: RE: Infantry Walkers Next: RE: More Important things like baseball