Prev: RE: [Mini] Refugees? Next: RE: [Mini] Refugees?

RE: Infantry Walkers

From: Noah Doyle <nvdoyle@m...>
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 02:05:28 -0500
Subject: RE: Infantry Walkers

While I agree that traditional mecha/walkers have severe combat
limitations
(to the point of uselesness), I can see a place for Infantry walkers,
given
a few assumptions.  Within the framework & style of the GZG universe,
these
don't seem to outrageous:

Infantry walkers are at least as mobile and dextrous as Powered Armor.
 They would not have to accomodate human limbs inside their limbs - this

would allow a great range of motion.  I envision most IWs as roughly
humanoid, with the pilot sitting in the torso, probably very cramped.
An
IW should be able to walk, jog, run, crawl, kneel, jump, everything a
human
can do, or at least a human in PA.  It would need to be of strong enough

material to withstand this kind of punishment as well (I envision my IWs
as
being very beat-up looking).  In the game, this would be represented by
an
evade capability while moving (run only, probably), and an elimination
of
the signature penalty when the IW is not in motion.  They would drop
prone
and take cover, like infantry.	They would be inherently unstable, as
all
2-legged vehicles are; yes, they would trip occasionally, but they
should
be of a small enough size (3-5 m?) and tough construction that they
would
not be severely damaged by the fall.  They would be equipped with soem
of
the best defensive suites for their size; APFCs, excellent stealth & ECM

(GMSs is their nemesis), APSWs/SAWs for anti-infantry work, etc.  They
may
even be able to participate in close assault more like PA than vehicles.

IW, with the above-mentioned alterations, become a more viable unit.
They
are also very expensive for their size and capability, but their mission

would not necessarily be one of front-line combat.  I see them as
support
for aerospace-dropped infantry, or for other light forces.  They would
be
effective & mobile in most forms of terrain.  They would also be pretty
intimidating to civilian populations, as well.

A few design ideas - points included, for those who use them
Standard IW
Size 1, Armor 1R, FGP Power, Combat Walker mobility	11 pts
APSW							free
MDC/1							10 pts
SUP Firecon						6 pts
GMS/L/SUP						40 pts
APFC							5 pts
Stealth 1						20 pts
							92 pts total

Tank Hunter Type 1
Size 1, Armor 1R, FGP Power, Combat Walker mobility	11 pts
APSW							free
MDC/2							20 pts
SUP Firecon						12 pts
APFC							5 pts
Stealth 1						20 pts
							68 pts total

Tank Hunter Type 2
Size 1, Armor 1R, FGP Power, Combat Walker mobility	11 pts
APSW							free
GMS/H/SUP						60 pts
APFC							5 pts
Stealth 1						20 pts
							96 pts total

Noah

Prev: RE: [Mini] Refugees? Next: RE: [Mini] Refugees?